Friday 26 March 2010

Normalising normality

In one of the Two Fit Chicks podcast, a listener submitted the Blogger News that she had borrowed a ‘normal’ friend’s coat and been able to do it up.

I understand that victory. My two closest friends are much the same height as me and are much the same size as each other – I can remember how I felt when I joined them at that size and could finally experience the clothes-borrowing that was part of everybody else’s adolescence but which my lack of size-22 friends had denied me. We wear each other’s dresses and coats from time to time, and I still think “Hey, I can pass for normal!”

‘Pass’ is the key word there, because I very rarely actually feel normal.

I am sitting typing this in size 6 shoes, size 14 trousers and pants (which are both too big) and a size 10 jumper. My feet are exactly the average UK size, I believe, and since I’ve heard on several occasions that the average British woman is a 16, my clothes actually put me in the smaller half of the female population. The only, ahem, outlying item I’m wearing is a 30H bra.

But I still feel fat. In a lot of ways my mind still thinks I weight fifteen stone. It’s as if being morbidly obese, as well as leaving empty fat cells scattered across my body ready to absorb excess calories and reinflate, has left that space in my brain empty and dormant, just waiting for something – a look (real or imagined), a remark, a pair of jeans that don’t quite fit – to swell it into the full-blown mental scream of OH MY GOD I AM SUCH A BLOB LOOK AT ME LOOK HOW VAST I AM EWEWEWEWEWEW! My self-esteem is stretched and damaged and weakened in the same way as the skin on my inner thighs. And neither the clearly not-that-fat woman in the mirror nor the kind words of those close to me can repair it. "They're just saying that," I tell myself. If they know me well, it's kindness. If they don't, it's politeness. Which is stupid, because if I take that to its logical conclusion the only people whose opinion I can listen to are those who know and dislike me... WTF?

I worry about what all this crazy means for the future. I've long ceased to think that my life will be perfect when I lose weight - mainly because it's pretty damn good now (and I appreciate how lucky I am to feel that way most of the time). But the thing I do look to weightloss to improve is my self-esteem, and the rational part of my mind suspects that the irrational part may never be happy with my weight. I think I need to start working on my body image in tandem with working on my lifestyle.

One of my big goals when I started this journey at New Year was to wear a bikini by the pool in Cyprus. I bought it ten days ago. If I can find the courage to wear it, and feel comfortable in it despite my not-actually-totally-perfect body, I think that'll be a real step forward for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. May I dare to suggest something that will feel distinctly odd.

    First write out 2 or 3 affirmations. One could be something like, "I am a normal sized person."

    Be careful to use positives not negatives. ie "I am no longer huge" Put a cross by that type of saying.

    When you are satisfied with them, stand in front of your mirror, look into your eyes and tell yourself the truth.

    If you can do this at least once a day eventually you will find yourself believing the truth, not just knowing it in your head.

    This isn't mind bending. It's getting the head knowledge into your spirit.

    Hope the idea helps and doesn't sound too weird.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. MargieAnne just took the words right out of my mouth.

    The big thing about this is to write those positives down, preferably on the prettiest paper you can lay hands on. Decorate it. Make it beautiful.

    Then carry the positives note in your handbag and re-read it several times a day. Lock yourself in the Ladies if you have to, but re-affirm those GOOD things about you and the great job you have done. It may take time (and effort, but what doesn't) but you will come to believe it and you deserve to.

    'Normal' is where you already are - actually you are better than 'normal'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're both right, of course. I've had success with those techniques in other areas (and have a card with reasons I want to lose weight on it in my handbag for weak moments). Thanks for showing that this is another area where I should apply them.

    ReplyDelete