Wednesday 13 October 2010

Actual shrinkage!

I bought a wedding dress at the weekend.


Now, it’s not my intention to turn this into a wedding planning blog. Wedding planning is to my mind only ever interesting if you are a) connected to the wedding in question or b) planning a wedding yourself. If you fall into category B I can recommend any number of excellent sites dedicated to the topic (and some which will make your eyes pop out in horror/bemusement), and I don’t think many people in category A are reading this. There is a weight-loss angle on my purchase, honest.

You see, I bought a dress that fits me now. Not a dress that will fit me in half a stone or a stone’s time. The traditional model of dress shopping is that you try on a sample, which may or may not fit you (I’ve been lucky – only one has been too small and most have fitted well). If that’s the dress for you, you then order one to be made, which takes a preposterously long time. Because made-to-order is not the same as made-to-measure, you order a standard size which is then altered to fit you.


(The whole wedding dress industry is also revoltingly sizeist and judgmental, but that’s a whole other post (which I will probably write this week while it’s on my mind).)


Until Saturday I thought that was the route I was going to take, and was already agonising about whether to order the size that fits me now or the next size down.

However, there is also the sample sale route. At the end of a season, or when a dress is withdrawn by the manufacturer, shops are left with their samples, which they had to buy from the manufacturer. They then sell these to recoup some of that cost. However, because they have been hanging around in the shop being tried on, and may be last season’s design, they are usually sold at a hefty discount. The dress I bought on Saturday was one such sample. It was there, it was preposterously reduced, it was beautiful, and I had to buy it there and then if I wanted it. So I did.


I was worried that buying a dress in my current size would an admission of defeat. I didn’t want to allow the possibility of not getting to my goal weight before the wedding. But having actually done, I find I’m able to consider the issue in a slightly saner way, and have come to three conclusions:


  • Most of my excess weight is now on my hips and thighs. While I don’t want to say too much in case the Boy is reading, I don’t think it would be a surprise to him that I haven’t chosen something that is fitted in those areas, so shrinkage there won’t affect the fit.
  • If I do lose weight in such a way that the dress doesn’t fit, well, I’ll get it altered! Because it was one of a kind I won’t then think “Dammit, why didn’t I order the next size down?”
  •  If I don’t lose a single pound between now and my wedding day, I know I’ll still look fabulous. (Honeymoon beaches are a different issue, but never mind…)
This feels like a bit of a breakthrough. The other breakthrough is that yesterday I finally lost weight again – a pound off to bring me to 10 stone 4lb. I am extremely relieved as the plateau was doing Bad Things to my mental state. One more pound will get me to 10% of my bodyweight lost, and I really want that crappy keyring!

October goal update: my ‘exercise every day’ goal fell victim to a cold last week – I decided that if I was ill enough not to go to work I was ill enough not to Shred… I’m still trying to get every other day this month, though. I managed to track every day this week. I failed rather on the ‘not going nuts’ front – Saturday’s dinner was a bit excessive – and on the drinking 2l of water every day. I’ll try again this week.


Culinary highlight of the week: a tie between the garlic, cheese and caramelised onion pizza bread on Saturday night and the haggis panini I had for lunch on Sunday. NOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment