Thursday 25 February 2010

(Belated) Healthy You Challenge check-in, and some thoughts on thoughts

I have spent the last three weeks on a plateau, bobbling around 71kg, never moving more than 400g either side. Fingers crossed I've got going again, as I weighed in at 70kg on Wednesday morning. I was very excited as that means I've reached my first mini goal! Next stop 65kg, I hope. Here are my stats

All time heaviest: 95kg
2002 WeightWatchers start weight: 90kg
Weight on 2nd January 2010: 77.9kg
Lost in 2010: 7.9kg (or 17lb)

I don't have a specific goal in mind. 65kg would be around the lightest I've ever been, but would only be just inside the 'healthy' BMI range for my height. (I am sceptical about BMI, but that's another post). I am also trying to get fit, and am trying to focus more on size than weight. Which brings me onto the other topic in the title: the mental aspects of weightloss. MargieAnne commented on my last post, and exhorted me to ensure that I learn to handle stress, and make the decision not just to lose weight, but to be that weight for the rest of my life.

It's early days yet - it's not been two months - but I do feel that this time I am in a better place mentally than I have been for previous weight-loss attempts. Moving in with the Boy has reduced the living-out-of-a-suitcase aspect of my life massively, removing a substantial cause of stress. I have time and space to think about and plan my food choices, and I have ample space to prepare them (if not always enough time...). But I think the biggest change is that I have tried to address not just the fact that I overeat, but why I do it. There are two major influences for this: the Beck Diet Solution book (as harped on about in a previous post) and the vast range of healthy eating blogs I have taken to reading.  I won't say I have dealt with my stress eating, but I have become aware of it. And I'm getting there: I've had a frankly terrible day at work, and came home craving biscuits and cheese and granola and all the other wondrous things in the cupboard. Instead, I've read some blogs, and written this post.

It's a long road, but I'll get there.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the response to my comment.

    You are going to make it because you're keen to educate yourself along the way. If only there's been 1/2 the tools and some of the knowledge when I was young. Not to worry - My goal, (one of the many), is to show that age is not a barrier to getting one's life sorted and making permanent healthy lifestyle changes, *smile*

    ReplyDelete